Thursday, March 5, 2009

Peking Duck

Last night, my new officemate Cheng took Assie (my labmate) and I out for dinner. Cheng is from Beijing, and arrived in Texas about a week ago to start a post-doc with my boss #1, Ellen. His trip here was his first time in a plane and his first time outside of China, and he was eager to find and share authentic cuisine from his homeland with us. Qi (pronounced chEE), a chinese grad student in my boss #2's lab, suggested we go to King Chinese BBQ (pictured). Among other things, we got duck-- which I hadn't eaten since I was in Vancouver on my 28th birthday several years ago. At the place we were last night, we got Peking duck, which actually means you get three dishes all made from the same individual. First, the roasted skin (served over non-pork pork rind like puffs, which you eat with a sweet sauce between pieces of delicious, steamed dough, like a little sandwich). Second, the minced duck meat, which you eat wrapped in lettuce leaves, and third, duck soup made with the carcass. All three, delicious.... and so efficient! You all know how I love efficiency. It was funny-- on the way to the restaurant, I asked Qi how he decided where we should go given that there are chinese restaurants all over the place in Arlington. He corrected me-- "No, no, there are really only two." A-ha, now I get it... two where you can get Peking duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment