Friday, March 20, 2009

Another Pleasant Surprise

Texas has proved me wrong again! When I thought about moving here, it never occurred to me that there might be a possibility of paddling in this area.... but the other day I saw a lady in a parking lot with kayaks in her car. Whitewater kayaks, no less. I was surprised and, of course, introduced myself and asked if I could go with her some time (even though I have no gear or boat here). She said yes, had an extra boat and most of the required accoutrements... shortly thereafter I was on a river paddling to my heart's content! Turns out, there is a group here called the North Texas River Runners, a fair amount of recreational and competitive boating in the state (no real whitewater near here, unfortunately-- but some other areas of Texas appear to have plenty), and some very friendly folks willing to share paddling gear. Tonight I am going to a rolling session at a pool in nearby Grand Prairie to see if there is any chance I still have a hand roll-- keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment