Monday, March 16, 2009

Friendly neighbor(s)

As you may have gleaned, Clement (my neighbor, right) and I spend a fair amount of time BBQing and hanging out on the patio between his house and mine. Most nights, our after dinner chatting is interrupted at some point by a visit from the opossum who lives in the attic of the big house, who emerges nightly for a foraging adventure. He comes across the roof, down the tree (pictured, left), and then scurries off into the darkness. His name is Jeremy-Pierre (that is what my parents wanted to name me if I had been a boy-- just another reason to thank heavens I am a girl). JP (as we like to call him) puts up with a lot from his curious non-marsupial neighbors (= us) during his nightly descent-- for instance, this photoshoot which was stressful enough to make his nose moist. We (= Clement), in turn, put up with what sounds like furniture movers in the attic when he is feeling frisky upstairs. In reality, of course, I have to put up with nothing and simply reap all the benefits of communal living and a wildlife safari, while enjoying my very own slice of heaven, warm and cozy, independent and animal-free, in the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment