Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Republic of Texas

Texas 1895
After exploring Texas via kayak last week, I headed west by land with 2 of the 3 members of Jude the Innocent (see earlier post) to see what exactly the republic consists of, other than the sprawling Metroplex where I spend most of my time. The history of the state is actually fascinating, up to and including the controversial annexation in the 1840's and the legendary persistence of the right to (and constant threat of) secession. I have yet to find a good book to read about all this, but I'm on the lookout-- any recommendations? I recently saw No Country for Old Men as a bit of a primer for what lay in store once I got the chance to venture west and, minus the serial killer, it bore out pretty well. The landscape is very dry-- scrubby oaks, cactus, and some juniper; a bit of topography, but mostly very flat; oil derricks and windmills; many small towns that don't seem to have much reason for existing, at least not anymore. It was very interesting to me and made me feel much more like I was IN Texas than I ever feel while nestled here in the biology department. Among the representatives of the Texas herpetofauna that I got to see was the western diamondback rattlesnake (picture forthcoming) which, unlike many things, is just about as menacing as it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment