Thursday, March 12, 2009

Flashback to 1999

I am looking forward to a talk tonight being given by Richard Wrangham-- esteemed primatologist, author of numerous books, Harvard professor, etc. (pictured below, also with Daphne Onderdonk). When I saw the sign posted, I couldn't help but think back to my field season in 1999 when I worked in Kibale National Forest in Uganda, which just happens to be one of Wrangham's field sites as well. It was a stupendous summer. Western Uganda is gorgeous, the forest we worked in was beautiful and full of amazing wildlife, and the people I worked with were a blast (one of whom I lost track of-- Matt Becker, where are you?)
Not long into the summer, 4 people were killed in the park by rebels involved in the conflict in neighboring Rwanda. The threat to us was not significant, but all researchers in the park evacuated for about a week, and while hanging out at another field site, we really got to know each other well. When it was time to go back to Kibale, I promised one of them, Tammy, who was stationed by herself at Ngogo, that if she ever came to see us at the main station at Kanyuwara, I would throw a party for her. A few short weeks later, we got word through the almost-literal grapevine that Tammy was on her way. Armed with a guest list of about 12 world-class geeks, a transistor radio, a bag of balloons, and a few crates of beer, I fulfilled my promise to Tammy by throwing an impromptu shindig, the main entertainment at which was the temporary fulfillment of my summer-long desire to have a butt implants.
Post Addendum:
I went to the talk, and afterwards went up to him with a copy of the picture in hand.
Me: "Hi Dr. Wrangham, I am certain you don't remember me, but we met one night at a party at Kibale in Uganda about 10 years ago."
RW: " I KNEW I recognized you from somewhere!"
He graciously signed the picture-- HAPPY MEMORIES! Richard Wrangham
I'm such a groupie.

(Thanks for digging up the picture Amy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment