Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Red (Alt-)Rock Mysticism

Today's post comes from the terrific little town of Tempe (pronounced temp-EE), just outside the terrible urban sprawl of Phoenix, AZ. I am here visiting one of my favorite people, John Gillece (pronounced gil-EE-chee) and learning to appreciate the desert. Yesterday, we went to Sedona to go hiking. Sedona is supposed to be a vortex, or at least there are supposed to be lots of vortices around that area. The only time I have ever been in a vortex previously was Danilo's Italian Eatery, just outside of Gainesville, FL. We went there for dinner one night (because it was supposed to be a vortex), but nothing strange happened. Nothing strange happened yesterday either-- except for the fact that I mentioned the band The BoDeans to Gillichi on the way there and, strangely, a BoDeans song came on the radio on the way home. I haven't heard a BoDeans song or uttered the name of the band since, I think, 1990. A musical vortex?

No comments:

Post a Comment