Wednesday, February 11, 2009

California Dreamin'

I arrived in Santa Cruz yesterday to see some friends and continue working on my manuscripts. I am writing from "Science Hill" on the UCSC campus where two friends of mine, Susan Strome and Bill Saxton, have labs. Susan's lab works on these amazing, mysterious, little structures called P granules which she discovered about 20 years ago in C. elegans, the function of which is still being investigated. I am not much into idolatry, but I really look up to Susan. She is a deep and careful thinker, a methodical and observant scientist, an unbelievably good teacher, a great parent and spouse, and an interesting and fun person who continues to look for challenges and adventures. I can't think of anything she is not great at, including being a friend and mentor to me.

And as for a picture to share.... Yesterday, after working in a coffee shop all afternoon, I decided to take a walk and ended up stumbling onto the most wonderful road, through a beautiful canyon with a gorgeous river, farms and redwoods, sheep and lemon tree-filled gardens-- all stowed away in a little nook right off the center of town. Only in California! Among the many beautiful and interesting houses, there lurked a kindred spirit (albeit a deluxe version). So much to aspire to!

No comments:

Post a Comment