Monday, February 23, 2009

When Does an Evening Stroll become a Wildlife Safari?

Two nights ago I went to the best place I have been so far in Arlington-- the River Legacy Park. It is a large protected area along the Trinity River on the north end of town where one can escape many (but not all) of the suffocating features of the suburban sprawl that is Arlington, TX. While walking along the paved trail, looking up at birds (the view of which is interrupted at regular intervals by airplanes taking off or landing at DFW), and occasionally peering down along the eroded banks of the the river itself, it is tempting to give up on any real chance to commune with nature...until you spot a bobcat.
The spectacular Lynx rufus.

2 comments:

  1. Is that a wild, free bobcat? Spectacular picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, it *might* be a wild, free bobcat. But I didn't take that picture. I always give photo credits when possible (or take the blame personally when posting my phone pictures, which is the norm), but this picture is from the wikipedia page on bobcats and there is no photo credit given there... It is a good one, and I did (over time) end up seeing bobcats several times over the course of the 20 months I lived in N. Texas. It was one of the few really awesome outside things that could happen to a person there... that, and the snakes. But I just found out there are rattlesnakes nearby here in Portland, so I am going to be on the lookout for those this summer.

    ReplyDelete