Monday, January 19, 2009

Free at last, free at last

In addition to celebrating Martin Luther King today, and the spirit of service and the campaign for selflessness that has miraculously caught on in this country over the last few weeks, I can't help but share in the public ecstasy that is tomorrow's inauguration, even if I can't be in D.C. to witness it with my own eyes. The next four years could be the best of times and the worst of times, but I am so relieved to have intelligence and candor at the helm after 8 years of astonishing ethical and political squalor. On the night of the election, I wrote a kind of dorky poem for April and John Paul's election party (as I have done for the last 3 elections) expressing my hopes for the outcome. This was the first time those hopes were realized. Halleluah.
(Art credit: Ben Heine)

No comments:

Post a Comment