Saturday, December 19, 2009

Happy Holidays and Happy Marriage

(Warning: I use the words "we" and "our" throughout this post largely to refer to things that "I" think, but that I suspect may be more general, but by no means universal.)

Most of the times in our lives when we are faced with the opportunity to take a vacation-- such as during the holidays-- we do it. Either we go see family because we love our family, or we go explore because we love exploring, or (for some folks) they go lay on the beach because they love laying on the beach. Then, we return to our busy lives and get going once again-- perhaps somewhat refreshed, perhaps somewhat drained. Rarely do we take a week of vacation and use it to catch up, even though we spend most of our lives wishing we had just a week to catch up. That's what I am going to do for Christmas break next week-- I am going to catch up. I am going to catch up on sleep, work, play, exercise, blogging, songwriting, guitar playing, office cleaning, and cooking. I am as excited about this rare voyage as I would be about an exotic trip because of just that-- it is rare. I was thinking about what I wanted to cook, and I thought of rouladen-- one of my favorite dishes from my childhood that involves pounding beef and bacon (mm, bacon). I also thought I might try one of my friend Burcu's turkish recipes which I am always meaning to try but never quite have time (check out her fantastic cooking blog if you, too, decide to take a catching up vacation some time). And I thought I might try to replicate my aunt Suzi's famous bolognese sauce, which would make me also get in touch with my aunt Suzi and her family in Luxemburg-- another thing I wanted to catch up on.

Happy holidays devoted reader(s)! And bon appetit!

and Happy Marriage to my dear sister and Jeremy!

No comments:

Post a Comment