Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Science Pub Next Week

Although all 3 of my faithful blog readers live outside of Portland, I figured I would mention my debut as part of the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry's Science Pub series next week on the off chance that someone would want to come. Science Pub is a lecture series conducted at bars all over Oregon where scientists from any discipline put together a jargon-free (or at least jargon-light), non-technical talk on their research and present it at a bar to citizens of the world interested in learning about science, while eating, drinking, and relaxing with friends. It is a brilliant idea, and really fun (having attended in the past, I can say this with confidence-- as for next Tuesday's, we'll have to see...) There's trivia at the beginning, and the winners get pint glasses with the Science Pub logo on them. My particular talk will be held at the Mission Theater-- an old religious center converted to a bar/music/theater venue at some point in the past that seats an intimidating number of people at 7 pm-- come if you're in the neighborhood! The title is: Promiscuous DNA: The Invasion, Spread, and Impact of Mobile Genes-- provocative, no? If you can't make mine, no problem-- but I encourage you to check future lectures out if you can. Pictures from the pub, now available here.

2 comments:

  1. I trust yer counting me in this triptych? But yeah no I will not be there, currently in El Salvador heading to Guatemala...

    ReplyDelete
  2. but of course! que tal alli hombre? hope travels are going very well and that you come back with good stories sometime soon.... you are missed!

    ReplyDelete