Thursday, February 24, 2011

Rare Joys: Snow in the Valley and Playing Hooky

I am a snow lover. Although there is a lot of snow up in the mountains here most of the year (as in this picture of Table Mtn I took from the top of Hamilton Mtn last weekend; Mt Adams is in the background off to the right as well), it is a very rare thing for it to actually snow in Portland. But today was a snow day! Since I didn't *have* to be up the hill, I stayed home to enjoy. It made me supremely happy to play hooky, as life has been very, very busy the last few months. When I was a kid, my dad would let me play hooky from school once or twice a year, and we always used that day to go on some kind of epic adventure around the city-- an all day bike ride, or a trip to some far away neighborhood where no one spoke any english. Given the amount of traveling I have been doing, today's adventure was staying home, being cozied up, watching gigantic snowflakes fall on the flowers that have recently started to blossum nearby, venturing out into the eye of the storm to get hot chocolate (as one is contractually obligated to drink hot cocoa when it snows if that is a rare event), and lolling about in a bunch of new ideas about where I might be and what I might do in the not-too-distant future (yes folks, it looks like it is time for me to get a real job). Not what most people think of when you say the word adventure, but a rare joy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment