Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Best Sad Song Compilation Ever

So, it's a hard moment in the life of Sarah Schaack today. I am trying to keep my chin up, but I really want to hang my head down low. One of my favorite activities, whether I am happy or sad, is to listen to really sad songs, a mix of which my friend Darron gave me a couple of months ago for moments (days, weeks, ...) like this. The Everybodyfields-- a band that made it on the mix, but has since broken up (the couple, and the band) epitomized how I feel when listening to awesomely sad songs with the album art from their last release, Nothing Is Okay.
I feel like it is my duty to share this mix with the world because it is so good. I don't know how to do that legally via this blog, so I am just posting the list. Two of the songs happen to among the selected tracks on one of the artist's webpages (because he's dead; I told you-- this is all sadness, all the time). In that case, I posted the link and since they are arguably two of the best songs on here, you should be happy he is dead so you can hear them. See how sad songs have happiness inextricably woven into them? This, I think, is the key to survival.
The whole mix, however, is so good that I encourage you to track them all down. You can do that in one of two ways: 1) almost any song can be listened to online in its entirety by looking it up on a site called Hypemachine. 2) You can email me, and I would send any interested soul a CD with these 17 songs as my philanthropic contribution to the universe for September 2010. It is my own personal soundtrack, at least for right now.

Your Sweet Voice, Reindeer Section
Goddamn Lonely, Love Drive-By Truckers
Wasted Time, The Everybodyfields
Lost Cause, Beck
Dear Chicago, Ryan Adams
A Good Year For The Roses, Counting Crows
Adelaide, Old 97's
Standing In The Doorway, Bob Dylan
Waco Moon, Todd Snider
Hurricanes & Hand Grenades, Jason Isbel
Write a Letter Home, Jackie Greene
Sauget Wind, Uncle Tupelo
Land Locked Blues, Bright Eyes
Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley
River, Joni Mitchell
Lover, You Should Have Come Over, Jeff Buckley
Life By The Drop, Stevie Ray Vaughn

2 comments:

  1. Ottke told me about your blog and I enjoyed reading. Sorry to hear you're feeling down. Hope you're back to your old self soon. -JDS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey fellow lover of ambiguity! I'm a little late to the game on this post, but thanks for putting it up. Jeff Buckley KILLS me and this playlist is catharsis in an ipod. Mazel tov on your job talk and i hope things are going well for you. I think about you everytime I see trailer. Take care,
    a

    ReplyDelete