Friday, August 13, 2010

Helter Swelter

Not much new this week, just getting ready for the big haul next weekend when I start heading West. I am feeling really sad about leaving Arlington for so many reasons, but one of them isn't how hot it is. Today's high: 105 degrees. I am going to a baseball game tonight, and I am fully prepared to soak through my clothes in sweat. It has been so hot here, for so long, some of the guys in the department got a bee in their bonnet about trying to fry an egg out in the parking lot. It is inhumane. Every day new questions are posed-- did anyone live in this area before air conditioning was invented? how hot does it have to get for 98 degrees to seem cool? how hot was it here before global warming? Someone recently asked me if I really thought I could survive a Portland winter living in the trailer. If surviving a Texan summer is any indication, then yes. I am trying to escape the heat while basking in all the other types of warmth I have come to know here in Arlington.
Science Fair:
This is the egg starting to cook about 20 seconds after it was cracked onto a cast iron pan in the parking lot outside my lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment