Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ode to Austin and Welcome to the World Maitland Curiosity!

Your delinquent blogger is here, reporting for duty. The last few weeks have been a mixture of excitement and challenge here at post-doc-trailer-park central. Lots of good tidings workwise, but sometimes even 75 degree sunny weather can't completely fend of a case of the winter blues. But I think I broke the spell Sunday when I went down to Austin for the day to see my friends Stacy and Kristal. Oh, Austin. If only the rest of Texas were more like you. Actually, I am not so concerned about the rest of Texas. I would be happy if just Arlington were more like you. One of the highlights of my day was going to Twin Falls-- a spot along Barton Creek just south of town surrounded on either side by cedar bluffs and hiking trails. The creek is swollen right now and more clear than any other river I've seen in the state. It was spectacularly beautiful, and those of you who know me know there is little I enjoy more than being near running water. I was accompanied by two very cool people I just met (Austin is full of friendly, interesting people), Heather and Heyd (pronounced like the word 'hide'). I got to hike a little, wade in the water, and enjoy good conversation in the sunshine. On a scale from 1 to 10, Sunday was an 11. (To illustrate my glee, here's a pic Heyd snapped with his iphone from a rock outcropping in the river-- he is a painter and does art direction for movies, which clearly explains why his iphone picture is sooooo much better than any of the ones I ever post.)
In other news, the schaackmobile hall of fame is readying itself for another inductee this weekend and we have our entire staff working overtime in preparation! Betsy McCabe-- lover of comfort and all things four star-- is going to make her maiden voyage to Texas this week for a conference. Her visit will crescendo with a night at the one and only Chez Schaackmobile (I need to remember to buy candies for her pillow-- because inductees know we might not have a monopoly on luxury, but we have no shortage of pillows!) Anyway, Betsy's much anticipated visit might be followed by an impromptu visit from the Weinberg family (Joanna, Jonathan, and their most recent addition, Maitland Curiosity). At two weeks old, if I somehow convince Joanna to stay overnight in the trailer, her daughter MC would most certainly hold the world record for youngest schaackmobile hall of famer of all time. Who wouldn't want to start their kids down a path of lifelong achievement that way? Route your road trip my way if you can guys!
Introducing the one and only (no doubt!), ...Maitland Curiosity Weinberg.

1 comment:

  1. Delinquency makes the heart grow fonder. This post makes me think of vintage Schaack. Actually, on second thought, hitchiking to Austin and THEN the other stuff would have been vintage Schaack.

    ReplyDelete