Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ramblin' (Wo)man... Woah, Man

I know many of you were just beside yourself waiting to hear how the experiment turned out, weren't you? The answer: fantastico. Very happy to be done though, and despite the fact that it is always a little bit sad to leave Bloomington, by Christmas afternoon I was ready to be done. I flew home to Oregon (I love the sound of that phrase) and drove straight to my sister's house for a little dose of holiday. We exchanged only homemade cards this year, which I loved (and don't really think requires the qualifier 'only'; see picture) and had a lovely couple of days together for Christmas for the first time in many many moons. Our Christmas traditions are basically eating a lot of jewish foods, and this year were followed up by a belated Thanksgiving dinner in early celebration of our birthday (my mom and I were born on the the same day, different years obviously). So-- a lot of holiday festivities all rolled into 48 hours, and one of the many nice things about being close to my family these days....
But then of course I returned to my ambling ways: My friend Katy came up to Portland for a quick, culinary visit, and then I went down to San Francisco with her and spent a very fun New Year's Eve at The Mint (a gay karaoke bar of truly epic proportions; pictured below). I performed my most transformative piece (Try A Little Tenderness by Otis Redding, a previous rendition of which at one point was my YouTube debut) to try and hang with the big boys (some of the more flamboyant performers nailed performances of Ricky Martin and Nina Simone, so I couldn't very well be shy).
Now I am back in Texas for work and a little recuperation-- this constant motion is starting to take its toll a little bit as I have slept in my own bed for less than 4 weeks total since October 1, and slept very little in any bed for that matter. In my tired and tender state, can someone please assure me they get the So I Married An Ax Murderer reference used to title this post? Oh please oh please oh please?

1 comment:

  1. Love the cards!!! Hope you're enjoying Texas and keep posting! xxx

    ReplyDelete