Friday, February 5, 2010

Miami Valley Pottery

I have been meaning to blog about this for some time-- my dear friend Naysan is a potter in Yellow Springs, OH. If you have never been there, you should go because YS is the coolest town in the state-- a little tree-huggin', peace-lovin' (etc. etc. for all you Todd fans) hippie town that loves the arts and people from all walks of life, nestled in the most unlikely swathe of the midwest-- just north of the bible belt to be exact. It has a beautiful small downtown and lots of trees and is home to the very-cool-but-now-defunct college, Antioch, which was legendary in its day for free thought, protest, and alternatives to everything. Naysan McIlhargey is half Persian and half Irish-- a beautiful genotypic and phenotypic combination that is as welcoming and exotic as it sounds. He has been an artist since before we met in college and, in fact, we took Introduction to Ceramics together in the spring of 1994. It was a 2-hour class that started at 8 am. I usually rolled in with tousled hair around 9, and Naysan would be at the wheel, gesturing with his clay-covered hands towards whatever he had brought me for breakfast from the cafeteria because, not only could I not be bothered to come to class on time, I had missed breakfast. If that's not love and loyalty as a friend, you tell me what is. I would love to brag that I saw Naysan's talent long before everyone else, but that isn't true. Everyone saw it, and we all saw it right away. Now, he has his own studio, kiln, and shop called Miami Valley Pottery in Yellow Springs (the town from whence he came) and he is sharing his uncanny ability to combine earth, aesthetic, and necessity into beautiful pieces of ceramic with the world. If you are near there, you should go say hi and tell him Schaack sent you. He will give you an enormous hug and show you his incredible endeavors-- which include the ability to make 100 pots in a single day if he so chooses. He might also introduce you to his lovely wife Jalana and their daughter Bli who recently joined in the fun from her home country in Madasgascar. I can't say enough about how beautiful Naysan, his family, and his art are, but I encourage you to check it out if you're ever tooling around those parts-- it will be memorable and delightful, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment