Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Movin' Mavs

UT-Arlington doesn't have a football team (sacrilege in Texas, I would have thought) and, in fact, isn't very good at all when it comes to sports . The Movin' Mavs, however, are an exception-- they have won the national championship 7 times since 1989. Who are the Movin' Mavs? UTA's wheelchair basketball team, that's who.
I went to my first game on Friday night and I believe, for the first time in my life, that I might actually be capable of becoming a sports fan. The Movin' Mavs play in Texas Hall-- a strange auditorium-like court with bleachers on one side and more wheel-chair friendly theater-style seating on the other side. The whole set-up is pretty much indistinguishable from a "regular" college basketball game-- terrific athletes, cheerleaders, a maverick mascot, raffles, etc.-- except for the fact that it is inherently much more exhilarating to watch these athletes achieve their goals given the extra challenges playing basketball from a wheelchair presents (farther shots, more one-handed shots, and some pretty serious crashing on defense). It was awesome to catch a glimpse of the game this past weekend and I am looking forward to going to their next home game in early December. If you live in Arlington, come with me! If you don't, check out the fantastic documentary on wheelchair rugby called Murderball that came out in 2005-- it is excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment