Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Oregon Trail

Just a quick post from the wild west-- Jeff, Jesse, and I left Arlington on Monday night to come to Oregon, ... by car. This might sound only partially crazy to most of you-- it is a well-known fact that I love driving, traveling, and road trips in general, so 4200 mile excursion to come see the family overland might not strike anyone who knows me as all that crazy. Well, you're right-- this time the craziness was not supplied by me, but instead by Jeff (who flew in Monday from Mexico, about 7 hrs before we left town, after doing field work for the last 7 weeks) and Jesse (who returned Sunday from a week-long road trip to OK, CO, and NM with his band The Future Unlived-- featured long ago on this blog as, I believe, the first band I saw in Texas). They are clearly nuts, but I am so happy that they are.
We drove straight through OK, CO, and WY, stopped in Utah (the land of Jesse's people) to refuel (on food, and sleep, and interactions with other humans) and then set out in the dark for Idaho and onto Oregon (now the land of my people). The drive west was an incredible geological gradient-- much more noticeable because of the speed with which we crossed through-- sandy white, dry flatlands in Texas and Oklahoma to gold and rose-colored mountains in Utah, to tree-covered slopes along the Columbia River Gorge. More on this when I can post some of Jeff's pictures (it's his first time west of Texas in the US) when we get home....
We arrived in Portland, where they are attending the annual meeting of ichthyologists and herpetologists, and then I headed south towards Eugene where my mom and sister live (more on that soon too). We'll be on the west coast until Tuesday morning, before turning around to head back east and see the spectacular filmstrip of the american west's technicolor, in reverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment