Monday, May 18, 2009

There and Back Again: A Week Long North Texas Musical Mini-Odyssey

You may have noticed that the best part about living in Texas for me so far has been music. Last week, I finally got to see the Old 97s, a Dallas-derived band that was number one on my list of bands-that-I-haven't-seen-that-I-would-like-to-see (now replaced, perhaps, by Ryan Adams, but I need to think about who gets the #1 spot before making any hasty proclamations). The band exudes a good-natured brand of country-flavored rock n' roll that is difficult not to love-- it was an exuberant performance by Rhett Miller and the band complete with lots of sweat, pelvic gyrations a la Elvis Presley, and crowd-wide sing-a-longs. Plus, I got to eat a foot long corndog afterwards, which I always enjoy.

Close on the heels of this delightful concert experience, I took a slight wrong turn and ended up at the double-billing of Ssion and Fischerspooner Friday night in Dallas. Ssion is a dance-y, emo, 80's, Cure-like, multi-media-loving band whose finale song, Street Jizz, was actually catchier than I can probably convince you of in a few short words but, unfortunately, isn't one of the tracks you can stream on myspace. They weren't my cup of tea, but it was definitely entertaining.The headliners were Fischerspooner, a performance art duo out of Chicago, my home town, who played the worst live music I have heard in several moons. For those of you that think I just gush about every band I see, here is the counter-evidence: these guys stunk. But, if you think spacesuits, poorly-synchronized dancing, tutus, and light-fixture-containing hats are a good substitute for musical talent, check them out.Last but not least, I made my first trek up to Denton last night to see my new friend Petra's band Leatherwood. Denton is cool, kind of like a Texas-y version of Bloomington-- very green (actually and metaphorically), tons of musicians, and a welcome breath of fresh air compared to the giant concrete slab that is DFW. They played a too-short set at a bar called Mable Peabody's, that was just long enough to wash the emo off me from Friday night. It was awesome and I can't wait to see them again. Feels good to be back to gushing.... thank you for inviting me up Petra!

No comments:

Post a Comment